What is an Academic Advisor?
Saint Joseph's College understands the challenges that adult students face. With that in mind, we have developed an effective and comprehensive way to support you – in the form of an academic advising team.
The academic advisor fills many necessary support roles for you:
- As a source of information. While you are responsible for your own education, advisors are available to answer questions and direct you to helpful resources. Advisors also inform you about course availability and content relating to your degree and your educational goals, as well as administrative procedures.
- As a coach and mentor. Advisors help you develop realistic expectations for your program, and position you for success by offering personal and professional support. They help to minimize impediments to your progress and offer the most appropriate solution if you face setbacks.
- As a motivator. Advisors sometimes nudge you to complete your course, unit or program through proactive telephone and e-mail communication. Advisors work with you to set and track your goals, directing you to support services as necessary.
How do I contact my advisor?
The advising office is normally staffed Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET), though some evening office hours are also available. Check with your advisor for specific availability and extended hours.
- Dial toll-free 800-343-5498 anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, 207-893-7800 elsewhere, listen carefully for your options.
- Click on their e-mail address and send an e-mail. (Don't forget to include your name.)