Health Information Management Online Degree
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
The variety of courses offered in this online health information management program provides the necessary foundation and framework for growth and success as a health information administrator.
Required Credits: 128
This online degree completion program provides students who have earned an associate’s degree in health information technology the option to complete their Bachelor’s degree and advance their competence in the field of health information administration. Completing this degree prepares students to pass the Registered Health Information Administrator exam with the American Health Information Management Association, once this degree program is fully accredited by CAHIIM.
As health care organizations continue to grow more complex, having a degree in the field of health information administration becomes more and more essential for success.
With this program you have considerable flexibility to individualize your studies in order to meet your specific career needs! This program integrates general education courses with courses specific to health information management, to prepare you to:
- Be an expert in managing patient health information and health records, administering computer information systems, collecting and analyzing patient data, and using classification systems and medical terminologies.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of medical, administrative, ethical and legal requirements and standards related to health care delivery and the privacy of protected patient information.
- Manage people and operational units, participate in administrative committees, as well as to prepare and manage budgets.
- Interact with all levels of an organization - clinical, financial, administrative, and information systems - that employ patient data in decision-making and every day operations.
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for positions throughout health care.
- Courses that allow students to incorporate their prior experience or current work into the course content.
- Flexible online format that allows you to study at your own schedule, at your own pace and at your own location.
- Faculty with experience in, and current knowledge of, the field of health information management.
- No on-campus residency required; optional summer sessions on lakeside campus to accelerate degree.
- You may apply for and be granted admission status at any time during the year, regardless of program choice.
- This is a degree completion program. Students coming into the program must have already completed an associate degree in Health Administration Technology. In addition to the major courses and required general education courses, students must complete 23 credits of general education electives. The major consists of a total of 128 semester-hour credits.
- Students must be a graduate of an accredited public or private high school with an average grade of "C" or better. GED students must have a standard 2.0 or better or show college credit with a cumulative grade point of 2.0 or better for admission to an undergraduate degree program. Students who do not meet the cumulative grade point standard may be conditionally accepted and required to take specific introductory course work and complete it with a grade of 2.0 or better, prior to consideration of formal acceptance.