Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
Whether seeking mastery of advanced skills or completing your bachelor's degree, take advantage of our strong history and tradition in nursing education.
This RN-to-BSN degree completion is designed for both diploma and associate degree registered nurses who want to earn their bachelor's degree.
Required Credits: 128
"Distance education was the only way I could have reached my goal of obtaining my BSN while still supporting and raising my boys. I was at home, but I was in school. I was doing homework right along with them. What a good example for them to see!"
With the increasing emphasis on patient outcomes across all health care settings, the online BSN degree completion program at Saint Joseph's College helps you build upon your nursing education. You will increase knowledge in evidence-based care, clinical decision making, ethical practice, population-based care, and health promotion and disease prevention.
Online access to courses is convenient and flexible enough to accommodate your busy schedule. In addition, what you learn is often immediately applicable in your work setting.
This program requires 63 semester hours through a combination of transfer (courses taken beyond the associate's degree), enrollment, and challenge examinations (CLEP, DANTES, SJC). Nurses with a nursing diploma will receive 30 credits in transfer for the lower-level BSN nursing courses. Graduation requirements for the BSN include a minimum of 32 semester hours earned through Saint Joseph's, and at least 21 of those must be in nursing.
Saint Joseph's College of Maine has provided distance education for registered nurses since 1986. The nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing, Augusta, Maine.
- Flexible online format that allows you to study at your own schedule, at your own pace and at your own location.
- We accept MORE courses in transfer than most institutions (Diploma nurses receive 30 to 90 credits, and Associate Degree nurses can receive 65 to 90 credits, based on transcript analysis.)
- Courses blend content with your professional experience, allowing for immediate application in your work setting.
- No on-campus residency required; optional summer sessions on lakeside campus to accelerate degree.
- Flexible program allows you to accelerate your studies through on-campus classes and challenge examinations.
- Faculty with current knowledge and experience in the field of nursing will work one-on-one with you to ensure your success.
- Degree completion for associate degree nurses
- We have a fast track MSN option for students who have achieved a 3.0 GPA
You may apply for and be granted admission status at any time during the year, regardless of program choice.
BSN applicants must hold a valid United States unencumbered RN License and possess the functional abilities to perform the skills and behaviors required of a professional nurse.
International applicants educated in countries other than the United States must contact the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (COGFNS) for credentialing at: Commission of Foreign Nursing Schools, 3600 Market Street, Suite 400, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651 USA. Applicant Inquiries: 215-349-8767. Graduates of foreign nursing schools must submit an official report from the COGFNS.
- BSN prepared nurses are now required by those facilities seeking Magnet status. By Jan 2011, 75% of the unit level nurse managers must hold a BSN ---or higher degree.
- The Navy, Air Force and several other Federal agencies will only accept BSN prepared RNs.
- Public Health agencies still prefer BSN (or higher) prepared RNs.
- BSN allows you to enter ANY MSN program.
Online courses are also available for credit as individual continuing education classes.