How eLearning Works
Here's how Saint Joseph's online programs work:
- When you contact us, our team of admissions counselors will help you choose the appropriate online program based on your individual goals. They will assess your previous college credits, if any, and discuss the college's transfer credit policy and procedures to expedite your college degree aspiration.
- You can easily apply online or over the phone with an admissions representative. The GRE or GMAT is not required for graduate programs, although many online programs do have other specific admission requirements.
- After your application is accepted, you can usually begin your course right away. Our monthly start dates mean you do not need to wait for the next semester, or wait for a specific number of other students to enroll in a course in order to begin. Your text books can be ordered online through our book vendor, or you can acquire them elsewhere.
- You can enroll in one or two courses at a time, depending on your individual circumstances and requirements. Most students begin with one course initially; your admissions counselor will help you determine what's right for you.
- Shortly after you enroll in an online course, you will receive a personal login so you can access your course materials through the ANGEL learning portal. Most courses are self-paced so you determine the time and location of completing your entire course. Basically, your classroom is wherever you have access to the Internet.
- Every student has access to an online Student Orientation so you can learn about and use the tools and resources available to online students. You are not alone and you have access to a dynamic learning environment.
- You will be assigned a dedicated academic advisor that will provide sound guidance on course content, administrative policies and procedures, and individual program requirements. He or she will be your personal advocate and will provide an important link to the faculty, administration and other college resources.
- A typical course requires completion of a number of assignments submitted through the ANGEL online learning portal, and some undergraduate courses involve a proctored final exam or final project. While you work independently with the faculty member to complete the course, most courses have online discussion boards so you can interact with other students in the same course. While most courses are 15 weeks, MBA courses are 10 weeks, and have start dates approximately every two months. (Optional summer courses taught in the classroom at Saint Joseph's College have different schedules entirely.)
- In your online course, you will receive feedback (and a grade) from your instructor after each assignment is completed. This allows you to excel in your course and stay on track with your eventual goal: your degree. Throughout the course, your instructor is only a phone call or e-mail away. One of the unique aspects of Saint Joseph's online programs is the one-on-one relationship you have with your instructors.
- Shortly before you complete your course(s), your advisor will assist you in selecting your next course so you can complete your entire program in a timely manner. Your advisor only works with you and other online students, so they understand the challenges that adult student may face and can provide strategies for your success. Your advisor will help you determine a pace that is comfortable and realistic for your individual needs.
- As an online student, you will have online access to registration, the library (including numerous online databases for research), career services, the registrar's office, and the business office. You can also make tuition payments online. You have the same services that are available to students at our Maine campus - you simply have the flexibility and convenience of online access.
- Through the Campus Café portal, you can access your personal information including billing statements, grade reports, transcripts and your degree audit, which allows you to track your current grades for each completed course and identify courses you need to complete your program.
- Once you complete your program of study online, we encourage you to visit us in Maine and participate in the annual commencement ceremony. Of course, you are welcome to visit at any time!
Saint Joseph's online programs are flexible, affordable and are taught by experienced and qualified faculty. Contact us today to see how we can help you reach your goals.